A bored Civil Engineer turned happy environmentalist, Deepa has lived in Tanzania, Lesotho, India, Malawi, Swaziland and South Africa. Her PhD was on Ecosystem Services of a river catchment in Malawi and she has worked in environmental projects including climate change adaptation. She has contributed as author to the State of Environment Report of Malawi and Rio+20 Stocktaking report for Malawi, as well as conducted the Technology Needs Assessment for climate change adaptation in Swaziland. She was inspired by her stay in Malawi to begin a non-profit organization called “Abundance” which aims to improve human well-being and nurture nature. Deepa undertakes research as a Post Doctoral Fellow at Rhodes University, South Africa. He research interests are ecosystem services for poverty alleviation and climate change adaptation. Deepa strongly believes in interdisciplinary work and using “systems thinking” for achieving better results. She has advocated for integrated development at various avenues including at Woodrow Wilson Center and Capitol Hill, Washington DC. You can find more information at her blog http://www.deepapullanikkatil.com .
- Pullanikkatil D., Palamuleni P. and Ruhiiga T. (2016). ‘Assessment of Land Use Change in Likangala River Catchment, Malawi: a Remote Sensing and DPSIR approach’. Applied Geography, Vol 71: 9-23.
- Pullanikkatil D., Palamuleni P. and Ruhiiga T. (2016). ‘Land use/land cover change and implications for ecosystems services in the Likangala River Catchment’, Malawi. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, doi:10.1016/j.pce.2016.03.002 .
- Pullanikkatil,D., Mubako, S. and Munthali,M. (2015). ‘Advancing Green Economy through Technology Transfer: Experiences from Malawi’. Southern African Journal of Environmental Education. Vol 30:66-78.
- Pullanikkatil D., Palamuleni P. and Ruhiiga T. (2016). ‘An assessment of the impact of land use activities on water quality in the Likangala River Catchment’, Southern Malawi. African Journal of Aquatic Sciences 40:3, 277-286.
- Pullanikkatil,D., Mubako,S., Phalira,W., Chiotha,S and Luhanga,M. (2013). ‘Schistosomiasis prevalence in Zomba, Malawi’, African Geographical Review. Routledge Vol 33; Issue I.
- Matarira,C., Pullanikkatil,D., Kaseke,T., Manatsa,D., Shava,E. (2013). ‘Socio-economic impacts of climate change on subsistence communities: Some observations from Lesotho’, International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, Vol. 5 Iss: 4, pp.404 – 417. (Awarded outstanding paper and most commended paper, Emerald Publications, 2014)
- Pullanikkatil, D. and Urama, K.C. (2011). ‘The effects of industrialization on water quality and livelihoods in Lesotho’, International Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp.175–191.