A bored Civil Engineer turned happy environmentalist, Deepa has lived in Tanzania, Lesotho, India, Malawi, Swaziland and South Africa. She has a PhD in Environmental Science from North West University, South Africa and is a LEAD Fellow (Cohort 19). Her research interests are ecosystem services for poverty alleviation and climate change adaptation work. She has undertaken consultancies for Governments of Malawi and Swaziland in climate change adaptation work and has been the consultant for the technology needs assessment for climate change adaptation in Swaziland. At Rhodes University, South Africa, where she undertook a Post Doctoral Research Fellowship between 2016-2017, she worked on amongst other things, a book documenting personal stories of individuals from around the world who used non-timber forest products to rise above poverty. Deepa founded Abundance Worldwide in 2016, a non-profit organization based in Malawi (www.abundanceworldwide.org), which takes an integrated approach to development.
- Pullanikkatil D., Palamuleni P. and Ruhiiga T. (2016). ‘Assessment of Land Use Change in Likangala River Catchment, Malawi: a Remote Sensing and DPSIR approach’. Applied Geography, Vol 71: 9-23.
- Pullanikkatil D., Palamuleni P. and Ruhiiga T. (2016). ‘Land use/land cover change and implications for ecosystems services in the Likangala River Catchment’, Malawi. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, doi:10.1016/j.pce.2016.03.002 .
- Pullanikkatil,D., Mubako, S. and Munthali,M. (2015). ‘Advancing Green Economy through Technology Transfer: Experiences from Malawi’. Southern African Journal of Environmental Education. Vol 30:66-78.
- Pullanikkatil D., Palamuleni P. and Ruhiiga T. (2016). ‘An assessment of the impact of land use activities on water quality in the Likangala River Catchment’, Southern Malawi. African Journal of Aquatic Sciences 40:3, 277-286.
- Pullanikkatil,D., Mubako,S., Phalira,W., Chiotha,S and Luhanga,M. (2013). ‘Schistosomiasis prevalence in Zomba, Malawi’, African Geographical Review. Routledge Vol 33; Issue I.
- Matarira,C., Pullanikkatil,D., Kaseke,T., Manatsa,D., Shava,E. (2013). ‘Socio-economic impacts of climate change on subsistence communities: Some observations from Lesotho’, International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, Vol. 5 Iss: 4, pp.404 – 417. (Awarded outstanding paper and most commended paper, Emerald Publications, 2014)
- Pullanikkatil, D. and Urama, K.C. (2011). ‘The effects of industrialization on water quality and livelihoods in Lesotho’, International Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp.175–191.